Every time I make a pasta sauce it seems to change, mostly depending on what we have in the house – pretty much anything is fair game. The one common theme is that they are almost always based either with tomato or cream. The recipe below is a basic tomato sauce which can be easily adapted with different meat, vegetables, herbs and spices.
- 2 x Tins of Chopped Tomatoes (This would serve about 4 people)
- 2 x Onions Chopped (I prefer red, but any are good!)
- 1 x Clove Garlic (Chopped finely, otherwise garlic puree or the garlic in a jar is good)
- Herbs & Spices – I tend to use a mix of salt, pepper, chilli flakes
- Meat (Today I used spicy sausage and chicken)
- Sweat off the onion for about 5 minutes and then add the garlic, herbs and spices
- Add in the meat (if using) and brown off, then you can add in the tinned tomatoes
- Simmer for around 15 minutes, making sure that any meat is cooked through
- Serve with your favourite pasta!