It’s asparagus season, and that means lots of fresh, tasty and quick meals. Yesterday it was asparagus and pea linguine and today it’s a delicious soup – fab as a starter, or ideal as a light main on a warm day.
- 2 x Bundles Asparagus
- 100g Frozen Garden Peas
- 1 Small Onion, Chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, Pressed
- 500ml Vegetable Stock, Hot
- 150ml Double Cream
- In a large saucepan, soften the onions in a small amount of butter and then add the garlic
- Bend the asparagus, it’ll snap where the woody part ends and the fresh tip starts. Keep the tips to one side, and trim the end off of the woody stem. Chop these into chunks and add to the pan
- After a few minutes, add in the stock and cook through for about 5 minutes. Add the peas and cook for a further few minutes
- Blend the soup using a stick blender, add the cream and then mix through – Season with salt and pepper and taste. For a smoother soup, pass through a sieve – it takes time, but is very much worth it!
- Cook the asparagus tips in some butter or oil on a hot frying pan
- Serve the soup in bowls, with a dash of cream and a couple of tips on top