Cooking on a weekday is always a bit of a challenge, getting the timing right that we’ll both be back at a reasonable hour to start cooking, let alone eat together is never guaranteed. I had some foresight this weekend and picked up some easy to prep and cook ingredients for this evening and a new favourite has been born.
The below serves two, but can be easily upped for a party.
- 2 Salmon Fillets, Skin on
- 1 Lemon
- 100g Samphire
- Pinch of Chilli Flakes
- In a deep dish, place both salmon fillets, and squeeze half of the lemon juice over them, then sprinkle the chilli flakes on top. Cover and leave to one side, this can be done in advance and popped into the fridge until you need them
- Rinse the samphire well, and prep a pot of boiling water ready to steam shortly. Do not add any salt, the samphire is more than salty enough!
- In a frying pan melt a knob of butter and a small drizzle of oil. Once hot, place the salmon pink side down and let cook for about 5 minutes – Turn onto the skin and press down gently on the fillet to crisp up
- 3 minutes or so before the salmon is ready, pop the samphire into a sieve over the pan of boiling water and cover
- Drain the samphire and place onto a plate, with the salmon fillet on top. Serve with a wedge of lemon and any sauce from the pan