Something I’ve only recently been introduced to, mushroom ketchup is the perfect savoury condiment for chips, steak, burgers and pretty much anything else that you can think of. You can use any type of mushroom as the base, you’ll find the flavour is distinctly different, but equally as tasty.
- 500g Mushrooms (I used chestnut and closed cup)
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- Splash White Wine Vinegar
- Splash Milk (You could use cream for a more luxurious version)
- Dash Worcestershire Sauce (Use soy sauce to be veggie friendly
- Salt and Pepper (Use less salt if using soy sauce)
- Clean and chop the mushrooms and pop into a saucepan with the butter and simmer for about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Once tender add the vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, stir and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, adding a splash of water to de-glaze the pan if needed
- Using a stick blender, blitz until fairly smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper
- Add the milk and stir through, leave to cool and pour into a clean, sterilised bottle and enjoy!